Destination Scout - Global Worldwide
Company: Remote Year
About Remote Year
Remote Year is the leading global community-based travel platform that sparks boundless and borderless opportunities for growth and change through remote working and immersive local experiences. Since 2015, we have facilitated over 80 life-changing programs in 40+ destinations for over 3,000 individuals, and we are proud of our Excellent (4.6) Trustpilot rating.
We believe in the transformative power of travel, and empower people to unleash their human potential as they live, work, learn, and grow in the world’s most inspiring destinations on our 1 week retreats or 1-month, 4-month, and 12-month journeys.
We are pioneers in remote working, and as a fully remote and virtual company, we believe that travel and remote work lead to innovation, exploration, and personal and professional growth.
Why work with us?
- You will join an exciting, diverse, globally distributed team, passionate about everything "remote" and delivering an incredible experience
- You will get to travel for a living
- You will have an impact on shaping our future products
- Each and every day is guaranteed to be different, bringing new excitement, opportunities and challenges.
A Global Destination Scout is continually looking out for Remote Year’s new location to set-up shop and operate, either as a ‘ pop-up’ or a longer term offering. Whether it’s a city on the rise or a remote spot completely overlooked, the Global Scout leaves no rock unturned when seeking out Remote Year’s next hit locations and venues.
Working to a brief, the discerning scout will be evaluating everything from travel accessibility, short-term accommodation market, co-work spaces, and the variety of experiences possible to deliver an unforgettable stay for remote working professionals.
Once you have completed the research and aligned key stakeholders, you will own contract negotiations, and the collection of necessary content and collateral needed to create marketing and product materials.
You understand cultural significance and sensitivity. You’re already well on your way to being considered a ‘global citizen’. You’re the person people turn to when planning unique vacations. You care that everyone experiences a good time, all the time, and know what it takes to make that happen. You look well beyond the obvious. You know it’s about the details and how to spot them. You have conviction. You’re guided by the impact we make on the local communities and environment and how they’ll impact our customers.
You get as much of a kick out of extensive digital research, picking up the phone and building connections, as much as you do being on the endless road. You are well-traveled, but your diligent research capabilities exceed your travel footprint.
And you know how to use those relations with people and suppliers to make sure you forge valuable partnerships and great deals, without compromising on quality. You’re a rare breed - good with numbers, spreadsheets, presentation slides, negotiations, and have a creative mind for product and experience design.
Depending on the right person and background, the Destination Scout may be also considered to take initial operational ownership of a region. This would travelling within a certain region, working with the local delivery teams on an operational and customer service basis, to make sure each element of the new location is being delivered as expected, all the while keeping an eye on where we should be taking our groups next.
- Create list of possible locations for RY products
- Use own knowledge and contacts, travel trends, competitor analysis, customer surveys, and Remote Year gathered data to digitally research possible locations for different RY products
- Validate locations for RY offerings
- Travel to various locations after digital research to validate research in-person.
- Meet with vendors and properties to quality check offerings
- Assess the unique experience offerings within that location
- Book Platform
- Work with the Delivery team to contract infrastructure and experiences for future programs
- Manage and work within set budgets
- Network Building and Outreach
- Continually build global contact list to be ready for the next big project
- Ensure platform runs smoothly
- Help launch new platform and potentially stay until conclusion to ensure its success
- Potentially manage resource(s) in new location(s) to ensure success of platform
Suggested Experience & Skills
- Excellent English skills, with fluency in other languages a plus
- Experience working within Tourism or DMC industries
- History of successful location scouting
- Well traveled off the beaten path, with ability and desire to travel up to 100% of the time
- Ability to understand cultural differences through a diverse, inclusive lens, even when comparing locations in close proximity
- Incredible communication skills - ability to tell the story of a location and gain alignment across many stakeholders
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Experience using digital tools like Google docs, Slack, Email, and excel, and slides
- Used to managing budgets and/or contracting
- Resilient and flexible, with a proven record of working to tight deadlines, in a fast paced environment
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Commitment
Remote Year is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees to show up authentically and an inclusive and diverse travel environment for all of our participants to practice global empathy.