Design Intern Remote /
Barrel is a creative and digital marketing agency founded in 2006. We are a remote-first team with members across the world and an office in New York City.
We partner with the world’s most loved brands to scale and optimize their direct-to-consumer (DTC) businesses through brand, UX/design, technology/development, CRM/email, and marketing strategy.
Barrel specializes in the Fashion & Apparel, CPG Food & Beverage, Beauty & Skincare and Home Goods verticals. Past and current clients include L’Oreal Paris, Gap, SmartyPants Vitamins, Rowing Blazers, Barry’s, & ScottsMiracle-Gro.
Barrel is seeking a Design Intern to join our Design team. This is a paid, 12-week full-time program beginning January 2022, and you can work remotely within the US in the eastern and central time zones.
As a design intern, you will work alongside our team members and build experience on projects like content creation for social campaigns, website redesigns, and email marketing campaigns. You will receive guidance and feedback along the way and have various opportunities to contribute during creative brainstorming sessions. You are not required to be on-site for this internship as we are a remote-first team with members of the team located around the world.
- Ability to work within an existing design system and contribute fresh ideas and new approaches/insights to challenges.
- Assists the team in creating designs for internal projects and client deliverables.
- Research design trends and consumer behaviors.
- Independently schedules design reviews, takes notes, and actively participates when relevant in internal and client-facing meetings.
- Experience working within a Mac environment, Adobe Suite, Figma, Google Suite, Zoom and Slack. We use internal programs like Asana, Harvest and Pitch.
- Good eye for layout, color and typography, including basic understanding of web design principles.
- Enthusiastic and able to contribute at any given stage throughout the process. Actively takes the lead on a given task and can pitch in wherever help is needed.
- Consistently seeks out answers to questions and initiates independent research to overcome challenges - ability to go the extra mile to educate self when working in new spaces.
- Eager and open to learning new software and trying new design techniques - show initiative to understand new processes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Able to confidently express ideas and knows when to listen to other team members.
- Recent graduate or currently enrolled Junior/Senior pursing a Bachelor's degree in Design, Graphic Design, Advertising, or similar creative discipline
- Previous design internship experience within an agency is a plus
- Possess an interest in eCommerce/Retail
- Comfortable working in the Adobe Suite and Canva
- Working knowledge of HTML/CSS preferred but not required (our designers are not expected to build websites
Barrel is proud to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, culture, ethnicity, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, veteran’s status, religion, disability, sexual orientation, appearance, opinions, beliefs and more.