Data Visualization Specialist (Contract) Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
Hours Worked: 10 hrs/week
Duration: 6 months
The Product Analytics team at Wikimedia is a collaborative team with organizational-wide impact. We provide quantitative user insights to improve decision-making within the Foundation and the Wikimedia Movement. Our focus is on supporting product decisions that enable our communities to achieve Wikimedia’s vision – a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
We’re looking for an expert in data visualization who will advance our team’s mission of informing decisions by providing impactful and accessible insights and narratives. In this role, you will design data visuals to communicate key insights, help develop a cohesive visual identity for our team’s data visualizations, and promote best practices.
The insights you help communicate will impact one of the most relied-upon digital platforms in the world, and your work will support our strategic direction toward service and equity. Our commitment to user privacy sets Wikimedia sites apart from almost all major websites, and inspires creative approaches to our data work.
You are responsible for:
- Creating reproducible, documented, programmatic data visualizations for leadership and broader audiences.
- Reviewing and providing constructive feedback for charts, reports, and dashboards.
- Developing ggplot2 themes and/or Matplotlib style sheets that are consistent with Wikimedia Design Style Guide and brand manual.
Skills and Experience:
- Solid data storytelling skills in the context of business intelligence or academic research, as demonstrated by a portfolio of clear & compelling static visualizations.
- Advanced knowledge of open source data visualization libraries in R and/or Python – specifically ggplot2 and/or Matplotlib.
- Strong working knowledge of SQL.
- Experience with Apache Superset (preferred) and/or Tableau.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Proven ability to adhere to deadlines and to seek out learning & support.
- Genuine interest in the success and growth of the people you work with.
- Flexible and open to change and new information.
- Comfortable working in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Familiarity with Wikimedia projects, moderation processes, and communities.
- Experience creating instructional or educational materials.
- Experience contributing to open source tools and technologies.
- Experience creating or modifying Superset chart types and customizations.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (415) 839-6885.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/4584207