Data Science Intern New York
Company: Vox Media
Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. The Vox Media house of brands includes industry-leading media forces like SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode and Polygon, and reaches an audience of hundreds of millions, generating over a billion content views each month.
The Data Science team is currently looking for highly qualified candidates for a Fall internship (Sep-Dec 2018). Data Scientists are responsible for delivering insightful solutions to complex problems and using data to help steer the continued growth and increased engagement of Vox Media’s sites. As a part of our team, you will be utilizing enormous volumes of data to extract meaningful insights into our content and our audience.
What you'll do:
- Developing advanced statistical algorithms to solve unique problems.
- Working with the Data Products team to integrate learnings into editorial and user products.
- Designing hypothesis tests, overseeing test execution, and helping with the evaluation of results.
- Modeling, predicting, and classifying user behavior and other business metrics.
What you'll bring:
- Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Math, Physics or a related quantitative field.
- Initiative on solving problems and completing tasks in a reasonable time frame.
- Good communication skills, ability to work on a geographically dispersed team.
- Programming ability with preferably some experience in Python.
- Familiarity with Unix operating system a plus.
- Familiarity with database query languages (SQL) a plus.
- Experience in machine learning and statistical modeling a plus.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.