Data Engineer Redwood City, CA / Remote /
The Data Engineer will lead efforts to build software tools to bring customer data onto the Citrine platform, validate its accuracy, and analyze its content.
At Citrine, we’re ushering in the next generation of sustainable, high-performing materials and chemicals.
We are the industry leader in AI for materials and chemicals. Our platform provides data management and Artificial Intelligence (AI) tools that help our customers rapidly develop higher performing, more sustainable materials. Our users are scientists and engineers at market-leading manufacturing and materials companies and we collaborate with professors and researchers from world-renowned institutions on cutting-edge research at the intersection of AI and the physical sciences.
In 2019 and 2020, Citrine was recognized for our impact on sustainability by the Global CleanTech Group and was named one of the Most Promising AI Startups by CB Insights. As a team, we are ambitious with our goals, passionate about our vision, and eager to grow and learn from each other. Our team is growing fast and looking for the best to join us.
Our Platform gives product developers, researchers, and engineers access to cutting-edge, domain-specific AI, all without writing a line of code. This enables our customers to discover and deploy the next generation of sustainable, high-performing materials and chemicals up to 98% faster than traditional R&D approaches. We have clusters of remote employees in the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, and Raleigh-Durham areas, and our customers include multiple Fortune 100 materials, product, and manufacturing companies.
About the Role
Data are the lifeblood of both Citrine and our customers. To our customers, their data not only represent the distilled knowledge of decades worth of research, but also the foundation from which they can build artificial intelligence models of materials behavior using the Citrine platform. Materials data come in many forms, and customer data are often messy and heterogeneous. In order for customers to realize the full value of their data, it must first be brought onto a common platform, cleaned, and validated. The Data Engineer will have the technical responsibility of writing code to facilitate the structuring, organization, and curation of our customers’ materials data onto the Citrine platform. Furthermore, they will build and maintain tools to analyze the data files to determine their type, structure, and content, which can be used to help customers understand the tradeoffs between data quality and value.
- Engage directly with customers to understand the state of their historical scientific data and their scientific data systems
- Guide and teach customers on how their data should be integrated into the Citrine platform to maximize its scientific and business value without incurring unnecessary ingestion effort
- Build software tools to improve, validate, and monitor the data pipeline
- Prototype data tooling for Citrine's materials science data platform
- Select, structure, verify, and process large sets of materials data from a variety of sources and formats for inclusion in Citrine's materials science data platform
Skills and Qualifications
- B.S. degree in the physical sciences (e.g. chemistry, materials science, physics)
- Strong programming in python (not just scripting)
- Database querying (SQL, Access, etc.)
- Must be legally eligible to work in the United States
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Strong Python code development experience, including contributions to open source or collaborative repositories
- Experience building, scheduling, scaling and maintaining ETL pipelines
- Experience with pipeline automation and integration tools (Airflow, Luigi, Tibco etc.).
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin.
Our Core Values
Citrine Informatics recognizes that its most valuable asset is its people. We have created our set of Core Values to encourage, support, and invest in our team as they work to innovate and support a more sustainable world. Our Core Values reflect our ongoing commitment to continuously invest in nurturing our talent and our people-first approach to conducting business.
- We take pride in and recognize the successes and growth of ourselves and our colleagues. We support each other in our growth.
- We prototype and collect data to make good decisions. We question that data and are constantly iterating to find the best solution.
- We are all owners of Citrine and make decisions like owners. We work autonomously with personal and organizational accountability.
- We commit to building a diverse and inclusive community within Citrine and actively promote equity and belonging.
- We are tirelessly committed to creating value for our customers.
- We exist to help our customers accelerate the development of sustainable products that are critical to the future of both our planet and our industry.
Compensation and Pay Transparency
At Citrine, we want your path to career growth to be transparent, straightforward, fair, and easily accessible -- starting with your application and interview process. The annual salary range listed below reflects the level we are considering for this position (please note that there may be unique situations where you may fall outside of this range). Where you fall within the range will depend on how your experience and skills align to our internal leveling system as we learn more about you throughout the interview process.
$112,000 USD - $128,000 USD
*Range(s) listed are for full-time employees based in the United States only.
**Colorado only: disclosure above meets the requirement by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Our Benefits (for exempt, full-time employees based within the United States)
401k with matching up to 4%
Medical, vision, dental insurance (we pay 100% of your premium and 75% of your dependents)
Equity options within the company
Flexible PTO on top of our 15 paid company holidays (includes your birthday!)
Free financial counseling
$600 tech allowance
Monthly $75 phone reimbursement
Pre-tax commuter benefits
$5,000 annual professional development/growth allowance