Data Analyst (Contract) United States
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation, the nonprofit that oversees Wikipedia, is committed to providing free knowledge for every single person on the planet. The Partnerships and Global Reach team builds partnerships with the goal to increase underrepresented content, improve product optimization, and increase awareness and usage of Wikimedia projects globally. The Data Analyst will support the Partnerships & Global Reach team to evaluate and report on content generation projects and partnerships, and turn numbers and stories into insights. The Data Analyst will develop program/project-related data monitoring and analysis plans, laying out the data sets/metrics for tracking, data collection methodologies, and timelines for periodic data tracking, analysis and reporting of results. This role will contribute to producing data-driven insights to inform the Foundation’s and the movement’s efforts towards our strategic direction—to become the platform that serves open knowledge to the world and to empower all people to access and contribute to free knowledge.
We’d like you to do these things:
- Inform the development of a Wikimedia movement content generation evaluation framework.
- Design, implement, and document program- and project-based data analysis and reporting plans.
- Work with product, business, technology, and legal teams to ensure data needed for program and project analysis is appropriately collected and stored, and ensure that the Foundation’s privacy standards regarding data collection are upheld.
- Work closely with Wikimedia affiliate counterparts to collect and organize relevant data, metrics, and outcomes in a timely basis.
- Evaluate quantitative and qualitative data to identify trends and patterns, following standards of utility, accuracy, and propriety.
- Communicate data insights clearly and responsively to a range of departmental, organisational, affiliate, volunteer, and public stakeholders.
- Complete development, design, modification, writing, and dissemination of data visualizations, reports, and dashboards.
- Engage in a collaborative, consensus-oriented environment and as part of a globally-distributed organization.
We’d like you to have these qualifications and skills:
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis, including applied statistical methods.
- Work and/or life experience in emerging countries.
- Ability to problem solve and to learn and apply new technologies.
- Ability to appropriately balance precision and rigor with interpretability and timely delivery.
- A strong working knowledge of SQL.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple priorities and deadlines and work collaboratively, as well as independently, to deliver results.
- Ability to flourish in a highly transparent, collaborative, and remote environment, and work on a team with diverse demographic and cultural characteristics.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English, in addition to any international language(s).
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or the equivalent in relevant work experience
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with using Python, R, or other scripting languages for data analysis tasks.
- Experience with Hive or Jupyter
- Familiarity with Wikipedia processes and workflows
- Interest or knowledge in Wikimedia projects, the free knowledge movement, global online and/or volunteer communities, and/or international development.
- Multilingual skills.
- Experience editing Wikipedia or contributing to other non-English Wikimedia projects
- Experience with open source software development.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/1542942