Commercial Counsel, Verticals United States
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Commercial Counsel.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
We are looking for an experienced attorney to join the growing commercial legal team. You will partner with the Go To Market sales organization to manage the full life-cycle negotiation of complex transactions with healthcare and financial services companies.
Twilio’s legal team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical and sound legal advice. Your unique skills and experience are critical to help support our thriving and growing business and reinforce the trust and partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
In this role, you’ll:
Take ownership of the drafting, review, negotiation, and management of a wide range of legal and commercial agreements.
Advise Twilio’s Go To Market sales organization on contract interpretation and negotiation; providing business-focused legal advice that helps the business understand the difference between theoretical and practical risk.
Seek to understand the context of the positions of Twilio’s customers and the requests from Twilio’s internal clients. Strive to solve problems and address issues from their perspectives.
Champion Twilio’s mission, ethics and integrity by ensuring Twilio’s compliance policies are in practice and protect the company from risk, stay in sync with all applicable local laws and regulations, and are in line with Twilio’s values.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- J.D. with strong academic credentials and demonstrated success as a lawyer.
- Member of local State Bar or eligible to register as Registered In-House Counsel.
- 4+ years of commercial transactions experience with at least 2 years negotiating complex technology transactions (e.g., SaaS).
- Experience supporting a large sales organization.
- Ability to structure, draft and negotiate a high volume and broad range of commercial contracts, including license agreements, service agreements, professional services agreements, order forms, etc.
- Proven ability to provide entrepreneurial, quick-thinking, pragmatic, business-oriented advice and recommendations that distinguish between theoretical and practical risk.
- Able to take complex legal concepts and explain them in a way that allows a non-lawyer to understand the issue and the associated risk.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to advocate for a position while maintaining a collaborative and open-minded approach.
- Experience supporting a sales organization that is selling to the healthcare and/or financial services industries.
- Ability to triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate expectations with internal clients and delivering results efficiently.
- Good sense of humor, disdain for drama, interest for learning new things, and desire to get things done.
This role can be located remotely and can be anywhere in the United States.
Approximately 10% of travel is expected.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to spark your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well with compensation that aligns with your location.
The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $116,300 - $182,758.
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Important COVID-19 Guidance (For candidates applying to roles in the United States):
To comply with Executive Order 14042, all Twilio employees working in the U.S. are required to submit proof of vaccination for COVID-19 unless they qualify for a medical or religious accommodation / exemption. Employees onboarded after January 4, 2022 must submit proof of vaccination or receive approval for an exemption prior to their Twilio start date.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3454653