Backend Engineer, Query Performance Remote, Global
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,800+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
Our ambitions are to grow and scale GitLab. To do this, we are hiring Ruby on Rails engineers to help develop and strengthen the application’s database layer.
The Database Group develops solutions for scalability, application performance, data growth and developer enablement, especially where it concerns database interactions. It’s an exciting time for you to join our team as we scale our applications to meet our users' demand. Thanks to our Transparency value, you can see what we are working on in our Database Group page. You can even see our roadmap and listen to some of our meetings.
Database Group engineers know a great deal about databases, but aren't DBAs. They contribute code and assist other teams in developing application changes to improve database performance, availability, and reliability.
Enablement, as the name suggests, is about enabling development efficiencies for our greater development community and improving our scalability story for GitLab.com. We have some lofty goals we want to achieve in the next year. We cannot do all of the work we have identified by ourselves, so we are creating tools to enable teams to implement scalable solutions. Some examples:
- Automated database migration testing
- Database Partitioning
- Reduce total size and growth of GitLab.com's PostgreSQL database
- Address Primary Key overflow risk for tables with an integer PK
What you will do
- Develop new features in collaboration with our product management, UX, technical writing, and frontend teams.
- Iterate towards the best solution.
- Reviewing database-related changes submitted by other engineers or community contributors.
- Documenting database best practices or patterns to avoid.
- Developing tooling to proactively inform developers of potential performance issues.
- Research, design, and implement solutions to improve product performance.
What you will bring
- You have significant professional software engineering experience with PostgreSQL, or another relational database, in large production environments.
- You have significant experience with Ruby on Rails or other Ruby frameworks.
- You can reason about software, algorithms, and performance from a high level.
- You are passionate about open source.
- You have strong written communication skills.
- You are able to thrive in a fully remote organization.
- You have worked within a Git-driven environment.
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Experience in a Tech startup, scale-up environment
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor.
- Product company experience.
- Experience working with a remote team.
- Experience working with a global, or otherwise multicultural, team.
- Passionate about or experienced with open source and developer tooling.
For Colorado residents: The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $89,600 - $195,800 for Colorado residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary. Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, C.R.S. § 8-5-101 et seq.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/gitlab/jobs/6230120002