Application Engineer - Atom United States
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub.
We’re looking for an engineer to join our team to develop Atom. You will work with our team to:
- Make it easy for developers to work productively and effectively using Atom as their editor of choice
- Help build and create new features that encourage collaboration and flexibility for Atom users
- Improve our Open Source community
Our team is distributed worldwide which means we work asynchronously most of the time. Your typical week would include:
- Collaborating with design, analytics, support, and product management to understand the problems we want to solve and exploring how we can solve them
- Discussing and collaboratively solving engineering and product problems with engineering collaborators in Slack
- Opening a Pull Request to implement the next most important feature or fix the most critical bug
- Trying to reproduce a reported bug and responding to issues with the open source community
- Reviewing your teammates' Pull Requests and providing helpful feedback
- Working with your engineering manager in your one-on-one meetings to grow your team and career
- Ship features that improve people's workflows within Atom
- Collaboratively define and prioritize projects and tasks
- Encourage the technical growth of your peers
- Review code and provide thoughtful, constructive feedback for your team and the community
- Triage, reproduce, and debug technical support requests, bugs, and feature requests reported by users in our Issues on GitHub
- Help maintain and evolve our internal infrastructure
- Foster an open source community around the products we ship
- Strong written communication skills
- High degree of empathy
- 4+ years experience as a full-time professional coder
- Experience with Node
- Experience working asynchronously on a remote, distributed team (does not have to be professional experience)
There are only a handful of folks who meet all qualifications. Is this you? Excellent, please apply. But we care most about developers that have a track record of caring deeply about shipping software that helps people with their work. Either way, we want to hear from you.
- Experience with Electron
- Experience with CSS and HTML
- Desktop application development experience for any or all of macOS, Windows, and Linux
- Familiarity with Git
- Willingness to develop on multiple platforms and languages
- Knowledge of testing, profiling, and debugging practices
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 24 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 67 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/1288037