Android Engineer Remote - US / Canada
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub. We're looking for a few mobile engineers to join a passionate, collaborative, distributed group of engineers on our team.
The GitHub Mobile team is changing the way that developers across the world collaborate on GitHub through native Android and iOS apps. Launched in March 2020, GitHub Mobile is one of our fastest growing products with over 3.5 million downloads across both apps and a 4.7-star rating in Google Play. The team is looking for someone who is passionate about the Android platform and who will help us build a world-class app in design, performance, and accessibility.
Come join the team and influence the future of GitHub for mobile!
Stack: Our Android app is built with Kotlin and uses Apollo to communicate with GitHub GraphQL APIs.
A day in the life of an Android Engineer:
Our team is distributed worldwide which means we work asynchronously most of the time. Your typical week would include
- Brainstorming on architecture and product decisions with the team. It's a small team, everyone's input matters!
- Building new features that will simplify people's workflows
- Collaborating with iOS and backend engineers to create a unified product
- Jamming on pixels with designers to propose new ideas or issue feedback
- Testing the app at bug bashes to ensure we're shipping a high quality product
- Strong written communication skills
- High degree of empathy
- 2+ years experience as a software engineer
- Experience developing Android apps and distributing them through Google Play
- Experience with Git and GitHub
- Ability to learn and think critically about both system design and software engineering concepts and blend those perspectives pragmatically based on project needs
- A personal Android device. We are looking for someone who is familiar with the platform and even a fan of it!
- Experience in Kotlin
- Knowledge of design, testing, and debugging best practices
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/3222625