Ubuntu Desktop Software Engineer - Home Based - EMEA › Home Based - EMEA
Ubuntu Desktop Software Engineer
The Ubuntu Desktop Team is responsible for delivering Ubuntu to desktop computers in many forms. Ubuntu is one of the most popular Linux operating systems available for desktops today. Ubuntu strives to be the best free software operating system in existence. We are seeking a Software Engineer to join the Desktop Team to focus on integration with WSL.
A particular focus for the Desktop Team is keeping Ubuntu at the forefront of what’s possible on WSL. We think WSL is a fantastic way for Windows users to experience Ubuntu on their desktop, easing their development processes and allowing for local development and testing on Windows before deploying to Ubuntu in the cloud.
We’re looking for someone to lead the engineering in Ubuntu for WSL features and Windows integration. You will be responsible for delivering the best Linux experience on WSL to a huge audience. You will have direct influence over the roadmap for Ubuntu on WSL and will specify, architect and develop features in association with other leaders such as tech leads, engineering managers, product managers and developer advocates.
You will have the opportunity to speak at conferences about your work on WSL, interact with a very enthusiastic community.
The successful candidate will be passionate about the future of Ubuntu and will be mindful of the dynamics of the open source ecosystem, and equally aware of the needs of a large but innovative organization. Strong communication and relationship skills are as important as superb technical skills in this role. This job involves international travel several times a year, usually for one week at a time.
This role will be based from home and you will ideally be in a European or east coast US time zone.
Key responsibilities & accountabilities
- Implementing support for new WSL features in Ubuntu and closely following upstream development in WSL
- Management of Ubuntu WSL applications in the Microsoft Store
- Implementing support for Ubuntu features in the WSL version of Ubuntu
- Contributing to upstream projects in support of WSL features
- Contributing to feature roadmaps
- Performing Quality Assurance and defining and managing test plans
- Managing Ubuntu Hyper-V images in the Quick Create gallery
- Working with other teams within Canonical to deliver agreed features and helping the Desktop Team to ensure that Ubuntu is released every 6 months on schedule.
- When necessary, responding to and working to resolve issues raised by end users and commercial support customers.
Required Skills & Experience
- A clear passion for the future of Ubuntu on WSL
- Demonstrable contribution to an open source project.
- Strong C/C++ experience, preferably with an open source project.
- Awareness of some of the open source development tools and methodologies used in creating Ubuntu Desktop, such as: git, Launchpad, Debian packaging tools: APT, dpkg, debhelper.
- Capacity to learn quickly about new systems and techniques.
- Excellent logic, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong English language communication skills.
- Comfortable with online communication and collaboration such as mailing lists, IRC, wiki.
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation, delivering according to a schedule.
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Knowledge of some of the technology stack that makes up an Ubuntu desktop (GNOME, D-Bus, Xorg/Wayland, etc.).
- Experience within the GNOME community.
- Be an existing Debian or Ubuntu developer.
- Awareness of agile development methodologies and tools.
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/canonical/jobs/1868184