Trust and Safety Specialist (Policy) United States
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
The Trust and Safety Specialist works closely with others on the Trust and Safety team to help protect, empower and engage people involved in or impacted by the Wikimedia movement. The Specialist seeks to thoroughly investigate and respond as directed to threats of violence and other threats to the safety of the Wikimedia projects, communities and the public, to protect and enhance community health through policy development, and to facilitate the work of our vast community of international volunteers.
The Trust and Safety Specialist is expected to collaborate with others in a respectful manner, to encourage collegial engagement, to treat private information with discretion, to be creative and open to new solutions, to be supportive of other Specialists, and to be flexible in assignments. The Specialist steps into difficult discussions and situations, including those that may involve child protection and graphic imagery, to explain details and context as needed to promote effective resolution, mutual understanding and healthy communication. This is a sometimes chaotic and challenging environment that offers best opportunities for those who thrive working both independently and with others. This role reports to the Trust and Safety Policy Manager and is located in the policy-focused subteam.
We’d like you to do these things:
- Collaborate closely with other Trust and Safety staff in evaluating, processing and appropriately escalating inappropriate content and threats against the safety of volunteers or the public. This work involves coordinating with other staff in team rotation to ensure 24/7 coverage for emergencies. This work may include evaluating threats of self-violence or terrorism, or processing inappropriate imagery, including imagery involving minors.
- Research and report on issues related to community health and growth, which may include working to identify, develop, and implement program or policy solutions in collaboration with community, appropriate staff, and external organizations.
- Collaborate closely with other Trust and Safety staff in investigating, processing and appropriately escalating online harassment and event safety cases.
- Step into difficult discussions and situations, when necessary, to provide details and context to promote effective resolution, mutual understanding, and healthy communication.
- Liaise with and support the work of key community groups as assigned, including facilitating their access to engineering and other resources within the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Assist with correspondence management, which will include answering questions from both users and other stakeholders in a timely, efficient, and respectful manner.
- Provide events safety for Wikimedia events as directed by the Policy Manager.
- Build relationships with Wikimedians, including key community members, around the world.
- Keep up with and report on key developments in the Wikimedia movement.
- Perform other duties, as required.
We’d like you to have these skills:
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal communication skills with an ability to communicate with key stakeholders in styles ranging from precisely detailed to clear and simple, depending on context.
- Team player who cares deeply about his/her own work and also helps colleagues succeed.
- Strong critical and contextual thinking skills with a bias toward action in ambiguous situations.
- Have a strong commitment to child protection issues, including a willingness to work significantly with our community on such matters and to report illegal material to law enforcement with appropriate follow up as necessary.
- Experience and/or interest in online, international and multilingual communities.
- Emotionally mature and self-reliant; tolerates ambiguity and maintains positive, respectful professional relationships.
- Resilience in dealing with difficult subject matter.
- Able to research and clearly report out to diverse audiences.
- Fluency in English and native command of a major Dravidian or Indic language (Bangla/Bengali, Hindi-Urdu, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu).
- BA/BS or above.
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Experience with policy and policy development in an online community context.
- Experience and/or training in project and people management (volunteer capacity applies) or mediation.
- Experience recruiting, motivating and organizing online volunteers.
- Experience contributing to and passion for Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects.
- Experience with CRM and ticketing systems, and artificial languages like SQL, PHP, and Python.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*for U.S. benefits eligible staff, benefits vary by location
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/1495308