Technical Writer - North America or Europe, home based › North America or Europe, home based
As part of the MAAS engineering team at Canonical, this position is responsible for delivering the product's technical documentation. Creating documentation requires more than just written language skills; this position will challenge applicants to be creative problem-solvers, shrewd time-managers and to be able to work equally effectively on their own or in collaboration with others.
The primary role of this position is to continuously create, maintain and deliver community-driven and customer-facing documentation. This position requires international travel several times a year.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Create documentation for experienced technical users as well as those who may be new to administering cloud & virtualized platforms. Documentation consists of installation and upgrade guides, system administration guides, release notes, technical papers, tutorials and knowledge-base articles.
- Collaborate with software developers, product managers, other writers, information architects, quality assurance engineers, and technical support engineers to develop documentation.
- Read design documents and specifications, install and use pre-release software.
- Create documentation designs, plans, and schedules.
- Create and maintain automation scripts or infrastructure to generate and publish documentation.
- Curate existing documentation, performing periodic reviews, triage user feedback/bug reports and determine priorities for remedial work.
Requires skills and experience
- BS/BA or equivalent in Technical Communication, English, Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent experience, with 5+ years of experience writing documentation for a technical audience.
- Ability to rapidly assimilate technical information from a variety of sources.
- Must be flexible and enjoy working with new technology in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have experience installing, configuring and using Linux technologies (including via the UNIX/Linux command line).
- Must have experience with scripting languages (python, shell, etc) and integrating documentation technologies into code bases.
- Experience of working effectively as part of a distributed team.
- Confidence in using Ubuntu as a desktop computing platform for all of the above.
Desired skills and experience
- Knowledge of HTML, Markdown and other documentation technologies.
- Knowledge of video creation and production.
- Familiarity with cloud infrastructure.
- Familiarity with GitHub, Launchpad and other code repositories and collaboration tools.
- Experience working with several Linux cloud technologies (e.g. OpenStack, KVM, kubernetes, etc) and server technologies (apache2, squid, bind, etc) a plus.
- Experience working with Canonical products a plus (Juju, LXD, MAAS, etc).
- Understanding of Linux networking, storage and administration a plus.
- Additional language skills.
Must be able to travel internationally typically for 2-4 times a year, for a week at a time. Travel destinations typically include North America (US/Canada), Europe (Germany, France, Spain, Belgium, Romania, Hungary, etc) and South Africa occasionally.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/canonical/jobs/1535303