Site Reliability Engineer (Americas) United States
GitHub is looking for software engineers with a passion for system reliability to join our Site Reliability Engineering organization. As part of this software engineering team, you will build reliability into our systems, infrastructure, and applications to help scale the world's largest code hosting platform.
Our charter is ambitious and broad, but our current topics include observability, production excellence, provisioning, infrastructure as services, and a small number of engagements with user-facing applications.
The SRE team is highly distributed and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You're expected to have strong written communication skills and be able to develop working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
The SRE role at GitHub provides an opportunity to blend your system design and software engineering skills to address an ever-changing set of novel scalability and reliability challenges. This is an opportunity for you to join us on this journey and have a real impact on how the world builds software.
- Build reliability as a feature into our products, infrastructure, and organization. You will write code in this role.
- Contribute positively to open source projects. Cultivate projects developed by GitHub and join existing communities. Navigate this broader ecosystem and structure projects with upstream opportunities in mind.
- Identify and integrate with third-party solutions where it makes the most sense.
- Use data to understand the availability, reliability, and sustainability of our software.
- Bring experience, pragmatism, empathy, and composure to interactions with teams outside of the SRE organization.
- Work frequently with other SRE teams on shared goals and cross-team projects.
- Balance planned and reactive work using basic project planning techniques and technical roadmaps.
- Focus on impact, not activity.
- Deep understanding of and comfort with the GNU/Linux operating system.
- Experience diagnosing and troubleshooting complex distributed systems with availability and scalability constraints.
- Proficiency in high-level languages such as Ruby, Python, and Bash.
- Exposure to system-level languages such as Go, C/C++.
- Familiarity with configuration management software such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- A mix of system design and software engineering skills and the ability blend those perspectives pragmatically based on project needs.
- Experience balancing service reliability, metrics, sustainability, technical debt, and operational toil for live services running at scale.
- Incident response and management experience.
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience building highly available systems at scale.
- Experience building infrastructure automation.
- Experience negotiating SLIs, SLOs, and SLAs with product owners.
- First-hand experience with Prometheus and Istio.
- Experience as an open-source contributor.
- Success in a remote work environment.
- Experience with Linux kernel internals (TCP/IP stack, developing modules).
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 27 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 79 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/1149413