Senior Systems Engineer United States
GitHub is looking for Senior Systems Engineers with an interest in reliability to join the Systems team in Experience Engineering org. As part of this team, you will help remove bottlenecks for engineers at GitHub — within individual applications and systems and across our entire infrastructure — enabling us to effectively and safely scale and add value to the world's largest code hosting platform.
Systems engineering at GitHub thrives on strong customer focus, both internal and external, and data-informed experimentation to improve resilience, reliability, performance and usability. You'll join us in enabling the future of GitHub’s infrastructure and architecture by:
- deploying code across multiple regions, container clusters, and platforms
- monitoring and optimizing the performance of deployments
- crafting a delightful shipping experience
- designing and iterating on application architecture
- decomposing monolithic applications into microservices
This team will work closely with their peers in Production Engineering. The organization is highly distributed and you will work in a remote culture where asynchronous communication is the norm. Our team members span a variety of timezones, genders, races, cultures, disability statuses, sexual orientations, family responsibilities, experience levels, professional backgrounds, personality types, and more. You're expected to have strong written communication skills and to excel in building working relationships with people different than you.
- Build tools and systems that empathetically and pragmatically meet real operability needs of GitHub developers
- Use data to understand the availability, reliability, and sustainability of our infrastructure
- Actively develop and maintain our deployment infrastructure with a product mindset
- Work closely with other teams from around the organization
- 5+ years of professional software experience, with 3 or more in a systems role
- Operate in high-level languages such as Ruby, Python, C, C++ and Bash
- Understand the Linux operating system at both a high and low level
- Build infrastructure automation
- Work with Docker
- Draw on both system design and software engineering concepts and blend those perspectives based on project needs
- Communicate well and be willing to pair program, mob on tough bugs, brainstorm openly, and otherwise enthusiastically engage with your teammates in group problem solving
- Worked successfully in a remote work environment
- Experience with Kubernetes or other container orchestration systems
- Experience with service mesh implementations
- Experience using Ansible, Drone, GoCD, Spinnaker, Terraform and other tools to enable teams to deploy applications and infrastructure
- An orientation towards product development and an emphasis on user experience
- Technical writing skills
- Experience building highly available systems at scale
- Experience with capacity planning for large, multi-tier web systems
- Interest in or experience with systems languages, particularly Go
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 27 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 79 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/1442588