Senior Systems Administrator Worldwide
Scrapinghub is a fast growing and diverse technology business turning web content into useful data through use of our open source projects, such as the Scrapy web crawling framework.
We’re a globally distributed team of over 100 Scrapinghubbers who are passionate about scraping, web crawling and data science.
As a new Scrapinghubber, you will:
Become part of a self-motivated, progressive, multi-cultural team.
Have the opportunity to work remotely.
Have the opportunity to go to conferences and meet with the team from across the globe.
Get the chance to work with cutting-edge open source technologies and tools.
About the Job:
Scrapinghub is looking for a Systems Administrator to join the team. This role will be responsible for the successful operations and scaling of the infrastructure and software that powers crawls of over 8 billion pages a month.
Our infrastructure stack includes Linux, Python, Django, MySQL, HBase, kafka, Nginx, Docker, Mesos, Elasticsearch, AWS, along with our own technologies, such as Scrapy, Crawlera and Hubstorage
Due to business requirements, the post holder must be based in a European timezone.
- Write tools and scripts to provide automation and self service solutions for ourselves and other teams.
- Design new systems to support production services.
- Creatively solve scalability challenges on a rapidly expanding cloud environment.
- Help improve monitoring and identify key performance metrics.
- Proactive Research and Development - discovering and implementing new tools, emerging technology, etc.
- Disaster recovery design, implementation, and maintenance
- Troubleshooting and resolution of server/network and application issues
- 3+ years recent experience working as a Linux administrator/engineer at reasonable scale (dozens of systems) and designing/deploying ‘highly available’ solutions
- 2+ years of recent professional experience designing, developing, and operating Configuration Management solutions such as SaltStack (preferred), Ansible, Chef, Puppet or similar.
- Availability to work on European time zones
- Solid experience in Linux tuning, profiling, and monitoring
- Skills in at least one programming language: Python (preferred), Ruby, Bash, C
- Experience deploying and debugging applications running on containers as microservices
- Experience with Docker, Mesos or Kubernetes
- Solid understanding of cloud/networking/distributed computing environment concepts; including TCP/IP, HTTP, TLS, firewalls, VLANs, DNS, LDAP.
- Working knowledge of load balancing technologies.
- Highly organized, able to multitask, able to work individually, as well as within a team, and across teams.
- Excellent written English skills.
- Proven experience working remotely and collaborating in a cross functional team environment.
- Familiarity with software engineering practices, including n-tier architecture, configuration management, development methodologies (e.g. agile, waterfall, spiral, prototyping), etc.