Senior Product Counsel San Francisco, CA (HQ)
GitHub is seeking a Senior Product Counsel to join its Legal Team and offer embedded support to our Product, Engineering, and Design teams. GitHub’s impact is global, and our role in the support of open source software and software collaboration is key to creativity, innovation, and success in software transformation. GitHub is also experiencing a new wave of incredible growth and innovation on our platform, with many new offerings being shipped to improve developer productivity and open source success. In other words, it is hard to imagine a better opportunity for an experienced Senior Product Counsel who enjoys technology, asking new questions, coming up with creative solutions and taking an entrepreneurial approach to product counseling.
GitHub’s Legal team operates on the cutting edge of legal practice. Our team uses GitHub to work collaboratively, transparently, and efficiently with all other teams in the company. We believe strongly in working together and from first principles, in questioning tradition and basic industry assumptions, in being attuned to the unique GitHub culture that we are developing together, and in retaking and reforming our profession while delivering the highest quality of work product and counsel to our client. We value diversity of thought and experience, deep intellectual engagement with one’s subject matter, intellectual curiosity, innovation, social awareness, and high emotional intelligence.
- Act as primary legal advisor for product and engineering teams, supporting them on projects from design to launch on new features, products and services, and programs
- Provide legal advice across as subject areas as they come, including data protection/privacy laws, intellectual privacy law, internet laws and regulations, consumer protection laws, and other global legal frameworks
- Coordinate with the Public policy team, PR, product management, product marketing, trust and safety, and other cross-functional teams on external communications, policy development, product development, and product launches
- Lead consensus building and drive coordination with other members of the Legal team
- J.D. degree (or foreign equivalent) and membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- 8+ years of relevant legal experience, including working with internet or technology companies
- Experience with product counseling related to IP law, Internet law, consumer protection, privacy, and data security
- Experience taking on projects involving different subject matters, and working with cross-functional organizations
- Demonstrated success in issue spotting, problem solving and the ability to be agile through change
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, transparent, fast-paced, and distributed workplace
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to coherently and strategically present information to product and engineering professionals, findings and recommendations in a clear manner
- Demonstrated program ownership and consistent delivery on commitments - great organizational skills with exceptional follow through and attention to detail
- Law firm experience + in-house experience
- Deep understanding of Open Source Software and law
- Coding knowledge
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/1902949