Senior Director, Engineering - Billing & Pricing Platforms United States
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for a talented and experienced senior engineering leader. You would manage and grow an engineering and operations organization at the heart of Twilio’s Billing Platform. As the Engineering leader of our Billing and Pricing Platforms organization, you will own the scaling and development of a micro-transactional billing and pricing platform supporting a rapidly growing $1B+ annualized run rate business. Reporting to the VP, Engineering, with regular interactions with the CFO and GTM organizations, this senior leadership role is focused on enhancing engineering practices and scaling systems as the company continues to rapidly grow.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of leading engineering organizations. They also have:
- You have a track record of leading distributed systems engineering and operations teams in software companies.
- You have extensive expertise in building and running Billing, Pricing and/or Payments systems. Experience with micro-transactional billing systems is highly desired.
- You have experience managing 50+ people in multiple geos. Strong focus on org structure and shape hygiene.
- You are passionate about engineering hygiene and operational excellence. You have the know-how to build an engineering organization that delivers it. You focus on quality through metrics-based defect tracking and pride in delivery.
- You have expertise with agile methodologies, continuous integration, and test automation.
- You are a strategic thinker as it relates to scale and removing humans from the loop. You thrive when operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services to defined SLA’s.
- An understanding of Accounting policies, Tax, and Invoicing requirements.
- You distill complex and ambiguous situations into aligned priorities with actionable plans for your team. Focus on the customer and business outcomes.
- Experience managing large scale integrations with third party ERPs and CRMs.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to be personable yet persistent. You are able to articulate the “why” for a team’s priorities and the customer impact.
- Proven track record of meeting business targets.
As the Senior Director of Billing & Pricing Platforms, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER: Lead, build and manage an organization and teams to deliver a highly accurate and flexible micro-transaction Event Processing Engine that supports use cases from subscription and invoiced customers to Pay-as-you-go with fully automated reconciliation at month end, quarter end and year end boundaries.
- BE AN OWNER: Build an organization and teams to deliver a Pricing Platform that enables dynamic pricing and experimentation.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Help employees grow through career development, coaching, and mentoring while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. You'll provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans, defining goals, perform evaluations, and collaborate with employees on their objectives. Most of all, ensure employees are having fun with their work.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Enhance and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response process.
- DON'T SETTLE: Be a leader of a critical part of Twilio’s senior engineering team and contribute to Twilio’s overall Accounts Platform strategy.
- BE BOLD: Own large scale system integrations related to billing and manage homegrown and third party platforms.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Coach teams on a daily basis to operate effectively in a multi team environment. Manage through direct reports to drive the teams to set and complete key objectives.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Guide teams through tech choices in order to deliver resilient, highly-available services.
- DON'T SETTLE: Represent your team’s operational maturity to Twilio’s technology executives and product teams across the company.
- BE BOLD: Collaborate on roadmaps and requirements with Product Managers, Architects, and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
Twilio’s innovative SaaS and Connectivity products are transforming how businesses and customers communicate with each other. With customers in every industry like retail (Nordstrom, Macy’s), finance (Morgan Stanley, ING), transportation (Uber, Lyft), and hospitality (AirBnB, OpenRent), Twilio’s products are changing the way B2C and B2B companies interact with and manage customer relationships.
Twilio’s Billing and Pricing Platforms are central to the success of the company and our customers. Ensuring our customers have a trusted billing experience that is on time and accurate is paramount. In this role, you would be responsible for building and operating the systems that provide the timely and accurate global platform for pricing, invoicing and revenue recognition. The business is empowered to dynamically price, localize products and perform experimentation by leveraging the platform capabilities
You would be a visible leader and would work closely with teams at every layer of the company, including the CFO and GTM leadership. Your success would deliver great customer experiences at major brands around the world (Twilio’s customers), and you would enable them to deliver better services to their customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in either our office in our Denver, Colorado office or remote west region. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/2240839