Senior DevOps Engineer (Remote) Worldwide
We are a diverse and fully-distributed team from around the world, working toward our shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join us as a remote Senior DevOps Engineer to grow DuckDuckGo's internal infrastructure and increase the velocity of our team.
This role is a combination of devops, cloud engineering, and IT operations. You will collaborate with team members at all levels to provide tooling, automation, infrastructure, security, and account management to enable us to reach our objectives more quickly. Examples of work you would perform include: managing and creating cloud infrastructure; empowering developers to create safer, healthier code more quickly by automating more of our release and development processes; setting up and maintaining internal tools our team uses to move faster (e.g. Grafana, Jenkins, Chef, etc); performing security updates; onboarding new users, as well as managing their accounts and permissions.
We empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their work. If you'd thrive in that environment, and our core values resonate with you -- build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction -- you'll fit right in!
What you will do:
- Lead projects from proposal through postmortem, assessing vague problems, proposing high impact solutions, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Contribute to and demonstrate ownership over major components of our internal infrastructure, taking responsibility for their maintenance and improvement over time.
- Create tools that delight our team and accelerate their work.
- Participate in a shared on-call rotation to triage and resolve employee support requests.
- Respond to employee support tickets related to devices and hardware, software licensing, and updates.
- Review and evaluate common procedures for employee support.
What we are looking for:
- Significant experience in software engineering, devops, or IT operations roles.
- Intermediate programming ability in a high-level language (e.g., Perl or Python).
- Experience and comfort on the Linux command line.
- Experience with infrastructure as code (eg Chef/Puppet/Ansible/Terraform)
- Passion for helping people and enabling them to solve problems.
- Ability to work efficiently, in an organized manner, and with attention to detail.
- Effective project management skills.
- Creative problem solvers and risk takers. You like to take initiative to push projects forward but know when to involve others.
- Excellent communication skills. You can validate your decisions and communicate them clearly.
Other things to know:
- While we leverage specific job titles for hiring purposes, we do not use them internally. Instead, we follow our own professional levels, with expectations for each level clearly defined across several dimensions.
- We are a small, remote team distributed across time zones, and we rely on a variety of communication tools throughout the day. You should feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- We believe in a focused approach to collaboration, where individual team members work on a single top priority at a time, each supporting larger, company-wide objectives. This philosophy serves to impact our vision to raise the standard of trust online.
- Our work philosophy centers on empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- Transparency supports individual and team success at DuckDuckGo. We encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback about our products and internal projects.
- We strive to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
- While this is a full-time job, we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expecting an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We support professional development of our team members through career advisory and a learning stipend, reinforcing our culture of growth and skill-building.
DuckDuckGo does not work with any recruiting agencies or services. Instead, we work with each candidate one-on-one throughout a unique hiring process that we've built to reflect our company culture.
DuckDuckGo provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you. Use the application to apply!
Please note that:
- A successful candidate will be subject to a background check.
- By applying for this role, you confirm that information submitted is accurate and that you understand falsification is cause for denial of employment or termination.