Field Software Engineer Americas
Canonical and Ubuntu are at the forefront of cloud computing, helping customers master the challenge of operations on hybrid cloud, bare metal and container-based systems. Our Field Engineering division is responsible for demonstrating, designing and delivering cloud solutions based on OpenStack, Kubernetes and the Ubuntu Linux technology stack to a range of customers, from Fortune 500s to startups, and is actively looking for motivated candidates to support our growing business.
If you are an expert in cloud technology, are looking for a customer-facing role and aren't afraid of travel — or of getting your hands dirty with code, this may be the perfect role for you.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Canonical's Field Engineering division is unique in its approach with customers: we engage early on in the pre-sales process and remain engaged throughout the delivery phase.Our staff wear both sales engineering and delivery hats — occasionally at the same time. We are active on multiple fronts:
- Providing sales engineering support to Canonical's field sales team in events, customer calls, on-site visits and bid/tender processes
- Designing solutions that meet customer needs, involving product and engineering as needed
- Building the designed solutions at customer sites, working in a multidisciplinary fashion with the customer's infrastructure, network, storage and product teams
- Implementing extensions and fixing issues in our technology stack that directly affect field delivery
Suitable candidates must have have both deep technical expertise in our field and the ability and willingness to engage directly with customers, eliciting requirements, positioning our products correctly, building and delivering solutions, and ultimately adding significant value to their business.
SKILLS AND TECHNOLOGIES:
Our team delivers solutions based on OpenStack, Kubernetes and Ubuntu; the ideal candidate has interest and experience with one or more of these. TCP/IP networking, libvirt/kvm virtualization and core Linux operating system skills are a must have in the course of discussing detailed architecture, designing complex solutions and guiding customers to successful infrastructure operations.
To deliver these solutions, Canonical's technology portfolio includes some of the most compelling tools in the cloud space:
- LXD (in Go), the world’s fastest pure-container hypervisor
- Snapd (also in Go), a cross-distro transactional package for IoT and the cloud
- MAAS (Python & Django), our bare metal provisioning system and IPAM
- Juju (Go), providing amazing model driven operations at scale on the hybrid cloud
- Ubuntu - the #1 cloud operating system
Candidates will be expected to be able to configure, utilize, debug and if necessary extend these tools in the course of their work, engaging with Canonical's engineering and product teams as necessary.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 3 years of Ubuntu Linux development experience
- Experience using and contributing code in Python and Go to open source projects in the cloud or devices area
- Excellent communication skills and presentability
- High motivation, ability to multi-task and follow-up reliably on commitments
- Interest in customer-facing engagement, including pitching, demonstrating and understanding customer environment and needs
- Ability to travel globally for periods up to two weeks; overall 50% travel time #fmg1
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/canonical/jobs/906952