Commercial Lead - Shipping Worldwide
About the role
We are looking for a Commercial Lead to join our team and help us accelerate Shopify Shipping. In 2018, Shipping is scaling massively in order to help more merchants save more time and more money. In turn, that means they can then offer their customers a better shopping experience. Everyone wins! We have plans to make the existing service bigger and better, including rolling it out to merchants around the world. We’re looking for someone to help us achieve these plans.
The successful candidate for this role will be able to work cross functionally at Shopify. You’ll be working with the Product Manager as well as the team’s engineering, design, finance and marketing functions to create a winning experience for merchants both now, and in the future as they grow. This is a role where you can think big! What is the future of logistics? How can Shopify deliver the best merchant and consumer post point of sale experience on the planet?
Specifically, we're looking for a seasoned expert within a strong track record in the shipping or logistics space. You have significant experience negotiating with carriers (UPS, FedEx, DHL, USPS, Canada Post, etc) and have a strong product or technical background (you don’t need to necessarily be a programmer, but you do need to be well versed in how the industry works inside and out).
You’ll be focused on seeking out and forging new business relationships at the highest levels, cementing existing relationships, creating new revenue opportunities, and contributing to helping make Shopify continue to be the best product to launch and run a business.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 8+ years experience executing partnerships in the shipping, tech, retail, commerce, or payments industry
- Incredible negotiating skills, as well as laser-sharp business and financial acumen
- Experience with the top US shipping carriers
- Experience with eCommerce fulfillment warehouses (3PLs)
- Experience in product marketing or product development
- Experience working across product or engineering teams
- Experience making things happen in a fast-paced, dynamic environment (examples of this being applied are a plus)
- An obsession with metrics
- An entrepreneurial nature
- A sense of humour
It'd also be really nice if you had;
- Familiarity with new entrants in shipping landscape like Postmates, UberRush
- Experience with M&A
- Familiarity with SaaS business models
- Technical understanding of website development technologies.
- Act as the primary point of contact while creating and managing relationships with relevant contacts pre/post the launch of business development deals
- Drive strategy for the business - where should Shopify focus to drive more shipping & fulfillment value to our merchants and their consumers?
- Work alongside the Product Managers to understand the product vision and be able to communicate it convincingly to internal and external stakeholders
- Own partnership discussions to negotiate equitable commercials for Shopify and its merchants with shipping and logistics providers
- Lead discussion across other functional teams within Shopify including Product, Engineering, Marketing, Legal, and Finance to execute on various opportunities
- Revisit and analyze current deals to learn what actionable things can be done to optimize them moving forward
- Support the strategic objectives and interest of Shopify’s business teams on a global basis
- Think strategically about new business models, and product integrations with the ability to build and convey compelling value propositions and drive innovation through partners
- Pursue an entrepreneurial / small team approach to business development
- Serve as an evangelist both inside Shopify and externally.
If you feel excited after reading this, then address your cover letter to Greg and click "Apply Now". We're looking forward to hearing from you!